Saturday, April 6, 2013

Avenidas, Calles y Pelo

When I arrived back to La Paz, I was absolutely wiped.  Taking one overnight bus is exhausting, but two in a row is a killer.  I went to sleep immediately and didn´t wake up until early afternoon.  At lunch, Lu´s lovely sister Nati (Natalia) offered to take me to the university with her to visit her class and see what the campus was like.  It was really quite nice.  Since it was in the middle of La Paz, it was fairly small, with tall buildings full of classrooms, but the grounds were pretty and it had a very zen-looking chapel in the center.

Nati´s class was wonderful.  She is studying law, but she has also signed up for a class focused on helping adults with mental disabilities.  The class is student-led, so I had the opportunity to interact with lots of students with and without disabilities.  They were some of the kindest people I met in Bolivia!  That day, they were learning about traffic laws (an especially important topic in Bolivia) and how to navegate the town.  I think I probably benefited more than the atletas, as they´re called.  Either way, we had lots of fun playing Avenidas y Calles (avenues and streets) and going on a field trip around the campus area.

After class, Nati and I went to a beauty salon, because she and Lu had decided that I needed a new hairstyle.  I think they were right!  My new hairstyle suits me way better, and is probably the best haircut I´ve ever had!  Thanks, Nati!

No comments:

Post a Comment